The evolution of the 50 Squadron is an integral part of the history of the Naval
Forces after World War II. Identified with the very tradition of anti-submarine
warfare, its assertion was guided by the experience of the former generations of
veterans who have trained on board the four MAS Type antisubmarine speedboats
(moloscato anntisomorgibile) purchased in 1920 from Italy and aboard other tugs
for submarine audio-scanning that acted in the Black Sea during the last world
In 1955, in the „Plan for developing a peace framework” The 1061 Great Antisubmarine Hunters Squadron is mentioned (the forerunner of the 50 Squadron) which was to be established between 15.06.1955 – 30.07.1955”.
The 1061 Squadron shall become operational the moment the first ships is taken over, namely the submarine hunter 1, taken over form the USSR and which hoists the Romanian pennant on 10.11.1955, being followed further on by submarine hunters 2 and 3 of the same class.
The three submarine hunters of „KRONSTADT” Class, purchased from the USSR Fleet, were taken over from Sevastopol by Romanian crews under the command of Lieutenant Gavrilă Mihai (V.Sm.1) and Majors Ion Suceava (V.Sm. 2) and Nicolae Lungoci (V.Sm.3). The arrival of the ships in Mangalia harbor, the permanent dislocation area, takes place on December 24, 1955 making up thereby the nucleus for the squadron initially commanded by Lt. Cdr. Dumitru Gabrian.
To achieve their main missions - search, discovery and attack of submarine - the ships were equipped with “Tamir 11” sonars, 2x4 responsive bomb launchers at the bow, two mortar controllers 2x6 BMB-1 and anti-submarine bomb launchers aft.
In 1959 the name of the Great Antisubmarine Hunters squadron turned to the Submarine Hunters Squadron.
Over time, through vigorous and effective action, day and night, regardless of season or sea condition, under the leadership of outstanding commanders, full-fledged seamen from people like Captains Gabrian Dumitru, Petre Nistor Telegescu Petre, Nicolae Radu Gheorghe Matei, Ion Suceava, Traian Square, Costica Mîrșu, George sponges, John Duta, vice admirals Gheorghe Angelescu, Cornelius Rudencu and Dorin Danila, Captain Nicholas Apostol, Captain Ion Stan, Alexandru Macavei Commander, Captain Cornelius Boca, to its current commander, Captain Ion Condur, the unit has been very successful.
Throughout 1974, the old submarine hunters in Division I are completed by a new division consisting of submarine hunters 41, 42, 43 and 44, built in Mangalia shipyard, which increase the combat capacity of the unit. Starting January 1, 1983, it spun off the Maritime Division and became subordinate to the Defense Brigade of the Maritime and River Sector.
Starting August 1, 1986, the squadron was relocated to Sulina harbor.
In accordance with Order of the Minister of Defence no. M 03314, starting 30.06.1989, the 50 Submarine Hunters Squadron merges with the 174 Berth Mine Sweeping Squadron bearing the name of 50 Submarine Hunters and Roadstead Minesweeping Squadron with permanent location in Sulina Harbor under the command of Captain Cornelius Rudencu - the future Chief of the Navy Staff. The new divisional organization of the 50 Squadron is as follows: two divisions of submarine hunters (VSM 1, 2, 3, and VSM 41, 42, 43, 44), two division for the roadstead minesweepers (roadstead minesweepers 17, 18, 19 and roadstead minesweepers -26, 27, 28), two floating caserns (“Timiș” and “Siren”) and an auxiliary ship station.
During the events of December 1989, the ships operated in the Danube Delta area and the oil rigging platforms.
In 1990 the 50 Submarine Hunters and Roadstead Minesweeping Squadron splits into two squadrons: the 50 Submarine Hunters Squadron and the 174 Roadstead Minesweeping Squadron.
On 24.02.1990 the ships of the 50 Submarine Hunters Squadron conclude the voyage Sulina - Mangalia and as of this date, Mangalia Harbor has become their permanent location.
In 1994, the squadron entered the divisional organization of the Antisubmarine Ship Brigade and as of September 15, 1995, it changed its name to the 50 Corvettes Squadron.
On 03.08.1998 in conformity with the Instructions of the Secretary of State and the Chief of General Staff regarding the measures to be taken for the disbanding and restructuring of units and great units or structures, in force at that time, the ceremony of delivery and receiving of the 264 and 265 Frigates between the Commandant of the 79 Frigate Squadron and the Commandant of the 50 Corvettes Squadron, and the ancient submarine hunters, which had meanwhile been labeled corvettes, were decommissioned.
On the same occasion, the name of the 50 Corvettes Squadron changes into the 50 Frigates Squadron which regroups Frigates 264, 265 and the floating casern “Bega”.
Starting 2000, the 50 Frigates Squadron becomes subordinate to the 2nd Maritime Flotilla.
Starting 15.12.2000 the 50 Frigates Squadron turns into the 50 Patrol Squadron which, based on the Orders of the Chief of Navy Staff no. 11 and 12 of 05.12.2000, assumes by re-subordination the ships of the 79 Frigate Squadron (eventually disbanded) F. 260, 261, 262 and 263 respectively.
The 4 project corvettes 1048 (260, 261, 262, 263) and 2 project 1048-M (264, 265) were built in Romania in Mangalia Shipyard from the beginning of the 80s up to 1996 based on the projects conceived by I.C. PRONAV Galați.
The names marked on the hulls of the ships of the 50 Corvettes squadron are an evocation of the great commandants that the Romanian Navy had throughout times: Adm. Petre Bărbuneanu, Vice Adm. Vasile Scodrea, Vice Adm. Vasile Urseanu, Vice Adm. Eugeniu Roșca, Rear Adm. Eustațiu Sebastian, Rear Adm. Horea Macellariu.
The corvettes of the 50 Squadron are an integral part of the squadron participation in the historical missions and activities carried out by the Romanian Naval Forces throughout the world, especially NATO member states and the Black Sea neighbouring countries: “Black Sea Partnership”, “Strong Resolve 1995” in the Aegean and the Mediterranean, “Rescue Eagle 1996”, “Cooperative Partner”, “Sea Breeze 1998” in Ukraine, “Storm 2000” Bulgaria, “Rescue Eagle 2000” România, “Livex 2001” in Bulgaria, “Doku Akdeniz” on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean , “Cooperative Lion” 2009, performed by the 265 Corvette; “MAKO 2006” performed by Cvt. 263; joint activities with the ships USS “Yorktown” in 1991, USS “Monterey” in 1992, USS “Lasalle” in 1998.
Starting 2001, when the first activation of BLACKSEAFOR occurred, the squadron ships participated in eight such activations of this naval exercise. On November 25, 2003, in conformity with the provisions of the Naval Operations Command and the Instructions of the General Staff, the 126 Fast Patrol Boats Squadron was established and a part of its ships (3 VTM, 3VTAp and one C.P.) are taken over by the 50 Division, whose new label is the 50 Corvette Squadron. Consequently, two of the unit ships (Cvt 261 and Cvt 262) are decommissioned.
The configuration of the 50 Corvettes Squadron by the end of 2003 was as follows: 4 corvettes (Cvt 260, Cvt 263, Cvt 264, Cvt 265), the Great Motor Torpedo Boats Squadron (MTB 202 , MTB 204, MTB 209), the Hydrofoil Torpedo Boats Squadron VTAp.53, VTAp54, VTAp.320 (in 2004 these were transferred to another squadron) and the floating casern „ARIEȘUL” (decommissioned in 2004 as well).
As of 01.05.2008 the 50 Corvette Squadron becomes a subordinate to the Fleet Staff.
The practical applied training was integrated into the obligations assumed by Romania as NATO member and is directed towards standard procedures used within the Alliance.
By its entire evolution, The 50 Squadron occupies a honorable place in the history of the Romanian Navy after World War II.
The historical becoming of the unit was approved of by the Chief of the security Structure, Lt. Cdr. Dobrescu Cosmin.